Thursday, December 15, 2011

Steampunk Christmas with Viva Las Vegas Stamps


I'm really not much of a stamp user so this month's tutorial was a bit of a challenge for me. I decided to create a Christmas card with a bit of a Steampunk look. I love just about anything Steampunk and Viva Las Vegas Stamps has Steampunk stamps that are fantastic! I'm using  Item 16006 Plate 1273 and Creative Paperclay®.

(Note - This card was painted with metallics and metallic paint is impossible to take pictures of. The background color is a light gold, not brown. The ornaments are copper, silver and gold.)

Materials:
Viva Las Vegas Stamps Item 16006 Plate 1273
Creative Paperclay®.
Acrylic paints
Water color paper cut to size 5" x 7"

1. I first rolled out my paperclay to about 1/4" thick. I then used my stamps and pressed them into the clay to make tiny gear ornaments for my card. Then I cut out each stamped clay piece with an exacto knife. Let these "ornaments" dry.
2. While the clay was drying I painted a Christmas tree on my water color paper using thinned out acrylic paints. You can paint whatever you want using colors you like. I wanted to stay with a metal look so I first washed the paper with a very thinned out light gold. While the paper was still damp I painted the tree using 3 shades of green. (Actually, I just jabbed and splashed the brush around on the paper till I got a tree shape I liked)
3. I wanted to use the stamps to actually stamp gears onto the tree so I painted the surface of the stamps with my metalic paints and stamped them onto the paper. The gold was a bit light but the copper worked nicely.
4. Once the clay ornaments were dry I painted them and then glued them onto the tree.

I hope you enjoyed this quick little crafting idea using Viva Las Vegas Stamps in a little bit different way.

3 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Awesome Christmas tree!

Lyneen said...

Beautiful card. Love steampunk!

DiscounthotelroomLV said...

When visiting Las Vegas theres this new hot website that offers you
all kinds of great packages the are not open to everyone unless you know about it. Spread the word around about Discounthotelroomlasvegas.com
you have a awesome blog!